Mini Blueberry Hand Pies
This post is sponsored by the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council
These are one of my favorite anytime treats and are way better than the toaster pastry in the box that you ate when you were 10. Bursting with bluetiful blueberry flavor, these are straight up sublime!
Super simple to make and made with three ingredients (store bought pie crust, homemade blueberry jam and glaze), I find myself whipping these up during the week for a sweet treat.
Filled with delicious blueberry jam and topped with sweet glaze and sprinkles, they are almost too pretty to eat! Check out my latest episode on IGTV where i show you how to make these and then scroll down for the full recipe!
BLUEBERRY HAND PIE RECIPE
by BRANDI MILLOY
4 heaping cups organic blueberries, rinsed
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup blueberry jam (recipe above)
1 large egg
2 refrigerated pie crusts
1½ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk
1 tablespoon blueberry jam (recipe above)
1 teaspoon almond extract, optional
Sprinkles, for garnish
For the blueberry jam:
Place berries in a stainless steel pot and bring to a full boil, mashing the berries with a spoon. Boil for 1 minute on high heat, stirring constantly.
Using a potato masher, break and smash blueberries. Add sugar and continue to gently boil for 3-5 minutes. Keep cooking and stirring for about 10 minutes or until thickened.
For the hand pies:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Crack egg into small bowl with a teaspoon of water, whisk and set aside.
4. Unroll pie crusts and using a pizza cutter, cut the edges off (about 1 inch off all sides to create two 9-inch squares). Then cut each square into three 3-inch wide strips. You should have 6 total.
5. Place 1½ tablespoons of jam on the bottom end of each strip. Brush exposed piecrust with egg to glue the sides. Gently fold top part of piecrust over the jam end. Using a fork, crimp the edges together on all sides. Repeat the process with the remaining piecrust.
6. Place hand pies on prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes.
For the icing:
In a bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, heavy cream, 1 tablespoon of jam and almond extract until smooth.
Drizzle icing on top of each pastry tart and garnish with sprinkles.