Anyone that knows me knows I love Dr. Pepper. We've had a thing since I was a teenager. I love everything about DP. I prefer it in the can but love a good fountain drink with baby ice. If I drink it from the bottle, it's gotta be the one made with cane sugar. God I love the way it feels going down the ole pie hole. It's so good! And the flavor is amazing! Some people like to compare it to root beer (gasp!) or even cherry coke (what the what?) but there is NO substitute. Dr. Pepper has helped me through break ups, final exams in college and it's my drink of choice on a hot summer's day. It's not like any other soda out there. Anytime I go home my Dad makes sure the fridge is fully stocked. I remember in college my girlfriend, Jola and I would drink 2-3 in one night. She always had cans of it in the fridge and we'd talk about boys and gossip and just sip our happy drink- it was the BEST!
Ok...I just reread this and now you all know what I weirdo I really am, but I don't care. Did I mention I've been to the Dr. Pepper factory in TX? And I own the Dr. Pepper bbq sauce, the Lip Smackers lip gloss and a vintage photo of a Dr. Pepper pick up truck? SO RANDOM. Anyway, WATCH HERE to learn how to make my Dr. Pepper Cupcakes! And scroll down for the full recipe.
DR. PEPPER CUPCAKES by Brandi Milloy
- For cupcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle Dr Pepper Made With Cane Sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For icing:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 5 tablespoons Dr Pepper
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- Maraschino cherries
- Dr Pepper gummy candies
- To make cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cupcake tin with wrappers.
- Into a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add Dr Pepper, butter, and cocoa powder. Cook for a couple minutes until a boil starts to form. Pour into flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla until blended. Add to batter and mix. Pour into cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- To make icing: Into a medium-size bowl, whip butter until light and fluffy. Beat in sugar, followed by cream cheese. Then slowly beat in Dr Pepper and cherry juice.
- To assemble: Frost cupcakes and garnish with Dr Pepper or cola gummy, maraschino cherry, and a small straw.
Makes: 24 cupcakes
Cook Time: 35 minutes